Friday, June 10, 2005

Almost There!

First of all, thanks for including me in my first knit-along. I've been knitting exactly 6 months now, and love every minute of it. Today marks exactly 1 month since I started Tempting, and I'm almost done. I just joined the 3 pieces last night. It's so exciting to see my hard work resemble a sweater now.

Meilynne's Tempting is almost there!

I had a couple of minor problems. I'm making the L size, so I don't know if this will apply to the rest.

At the end of the last body round, it says "Place next 12[14,16...]sts on waste yarn, work across 60[66,74...]sts, place next 12[14,16...]sts on waste yarn, work to end of rnd." Reading this part of the pattern literally, one would put the sts on waste yarn, then pull the yarn across those waste yarn sts to work the rest. What the pattern SHOULD say is, "Work the next 12[14,16...]sts, THEN place them on waste yarn, work across 60[66,74...]sts, and work across the next 12[14,16...]sts THEN place them them on waste yarn, work to end of rnd."

Joining the first sleeve was gravy. My body rounds end with P2, so joining the sleeve with K2 fit perfectly in the ribbing sequence. For the next sleeve, I stopped at the body waste yarn with a K2, so the next step would be to join the sleeve with a P2 but my sleeve starts with a K2. I shifted the waste yarn of that sleeve over 2 sts, so the sleeve starts with a P2, matching the ribbing sequence of the join.

Once joined, I knitted a few rounds and seamed an underarm. Now when the pattern says (for the sleeves) "break yarn, leaving a long tail" that means at least a 24 inch (60 cm) tail. I left 12 inches, and I ran out in the last couple of sts in the 3 needle bind off. After calming down, I unraveled back to the joining round, unraveled 1 round of the sleeves, so it could become the long tail, and joined again. After a few more rounds, I seamed the underarm again, but I noticed gaping holes at both sides of the seam. I tried pulling and redistributing the slack across the rest of the row, but those sts still look strained.

Tempting's underarm seam

Did I bind off the underarms too tightly? Later, I'll bind off the other one more loosely to see. If that doesn't work, I'll unravel 1 round past the joining rnd, and reknit the last round of each piece, marking where the waste yarn junction will be. Then I'll tightly knit those few sts before & after the junction. Hopefully I'll finish this weekend!

Since this was my first (practice) sweater for me, I'm using cheap yarn - Caron Brights - but it knits to gauge. I'm definitely going to make this sweater again, with either the Cashmerino or something equally luxurious. I envision adding a pretty border or picot hem on the bottom of the body & sleeves.

yarngear.blogspot.com

1 Comments:

Blogger Jennifa said...

Ooh, I could tell it was Caron Brights! I have that same color, and love it. Your Tempting looks nice so far!

12:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home